Functional training what is it, functional training for beginners
The popularity of sports is growing rapidly, the demand for the services of fitness centers is only growing, a fit body has become an indispensable attribute, photos from the gym regularly appear on the Instagram feed. But exercising on strength machines, with large weights, is scary or is prohibited by the state of health, and it’s scary to give money for a subscription and a personal trainer for the first time. Functional fitness has become a convenient option with its approach to training and exercise.
Functional training does not require personal training (classes in a group or even on your own at home), there is no binding to simulators, there are no large weights, effective weight loss due to an active rhythm. Functional training in this format is a suitable budget option with no or minimal physical fitness.
The benefits and benefits of exercise
Functional training is a set of exercises that are as close as possible in the nature of movements to our daily activities – reaching up for a heavy vase and not letting it go, walking along the curb and not stepping into a puddle, standing on a wobbly chair and hanging curtains.
Exercises in such training involve various muscle groups, including deep ones, develop the main physical characteristics of a person – strength, flexibility, concentration, balance. A high paced workout has a positive weight loss effect when calories are actively burned. For an example of such a functional training, see the video below.
In addition to the visual effect of slimness and fit, functional training affects the body, helping to improve well-being and condition:
- posture correction;
- ease when performing multi-joint and previously unusual actions;
- improving the work of the cardiovascular system;
- relief of headaches;
- improving the functioning of the lungs and respiratory system;
- developing a sense of balance.
Another nice bonus of such trainings is that they can be carried out without being tied to a place. Strength trainers are not used in exercises, at the initial stage, even sports equipment are not required, so you can do it both in the gym and at home or on the street.
Workouts are intense to burn calories, so the duration of the workout does not exceed an hour. During this time, the main muscle groups, as well as deep or rarely included in the work, for example, stabilizer muscles, have time to be involved.
Despite the advantages and benefits, like any physical activity, functional training has contraindications:
- diseases of the cardiovascular or respiratory system;
- blood pressure problems;
- serious diseases of the spine;
- prolapse of the kidneys (with caution in jumping exercises).
For any of these health complications, it is recommended that you first consult with your doctor. Sport should be useful, therefore, the load is selected reasonably and without harm to health.
If during training there is a deterioration in health, pain (not associated with muscle pain during exercise), inflammation – stop exercising and consult a doctor.
Types of functional training
Functional training became so popular that independent directions began to form from it. Let’s consider the most famous of them, as well as new ones.
Classic bodyweight training – in the gym, on the street, at home. Does not require training equipment and special equipment.
Functional training basic principles and features
Functional training is the foundation of crossfit training and endurance training for most athletes. Functional training has its own principles and characteristics, which we will consider today.
What functional training gives
Functional training is an opportunity to achieve the following goals:
- Develop endurance… Functional training is the best way to develop endurance in the sports world. Functional training works the muscular, cardiovascular and respiratory systems in such a way as to give the athlete maximum endurance;
- Improve performance across many disciplines… Wherever endurance is required. Standard strength training is aimed at developing skills only in the interval of 5-30 seconds. Strength sports and bodybuilding give minimal results when skiing, jogging, swimming, crossfit, game sports in which endurance is important. Functional training is indispensable in them;
- Prepare your body for any speed-strength work… Functional training is the basis for the disciplines discussed above;
- Lose weight, build muscle… Functional training helps burn calories and build muscle. This is the best way to get your body in shape without the hassle;
- Improve the functioning of the lymphatic system… Contaminated lymph is a guaranteed health problem. This can be expressed in headaches, increased fatigue, rashes on the face and skin. Functional training is a high intensity that helps to sweat, remove harmful substances from the body;
- Prepare for daily stress… Functional training is the type of activity that is most common in everyday life;
- Complement standard workouts… Functional training is used by bodybuilders, football players, swimmers, skiers – representatives of most sports …