2016 Olympics in Rio - governor admits bribery before the Olympic award - sports
At his hearing, Sergio Cabral also incriminates IOC officials Sergei Bubka and Alexander Popov. The US footballers are again positioning themselves against Trump.
Sports policy: Former Governor of the State of Rio de Janeiro, Sergio Cabral, confirmed at a court hearing on Thursday the purchase of votes in the election of the Brazilian host city for the 2016 Olympic Games and described the matter in details. According to Cabral, in the vote on October 2, 2009 in Copenhagen, nine of the 95 eligible members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) were bribed with a total of two million US dollars.
Cabral concretely accused the Ukrainian pole vault legend Sergej Bubka, IOC member since 2008 and current Vice President of the World Athletics Federation, as well as the former Russian swimmer Alexander Popov. The 47-year-old was a member of the IOC between 2000 and 2016 and has since been an honorary member. Both rejected the allegations. "I will instruct my lawyers to use all the legal means at their disposal," Bubka said via Twitter, pointing out that Cabral is currently "serving a long prison sentence for corruption."
Responsible for buying votes from the IOC members and the distribution of the sum had been the Senegalese Lamine Diack, then president of the World Athletics Federation IAAF, said Cabral. The contact was made over Brazil's then-NOK president Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the money had deposited the now submerged multi-entrepreneur Arthur Soares on Diack's accounts. Originally only the purchase of six votes for 1.5 million US dollars had been planned because Rio had the IOC in the fight against Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo "very Europeanized". Then Diack's son Papa Massata came and offered more manipulated voices for an additional $ 500,000. The IOC said that the ethics committee had "investigated the allegations of Cabral without delay" and had "contacted" its IOC members.
Football, US Team: Two days before the final of the World Cup, spokeswoman Megan Rapinoe has again received support from within the US duel with President Donald Trump. She will "in the case of the title win on Sunday against European champions Netherlands (17 clock)" absolutely not "travel to the White House, said defensive player Ali Krieger at CNN. "I refuse to respect a man who does not pay respect to others," added the 34-year-old, who had already criticized Trump on Twitter.
Krieger, who played for five years at the first FFC Frankfurt, emphasized that her good friend Rapinoe earned support. Rapinoe is a well-known activist against racism, homophobia and gender discrimination, and had come to a much-discussed confrontation with Trump during the tournament in France. If the US defends its title, it will "come not guaranteed in the f *** ing White House," Rapinoe had said.
Football, England: Former Dutch footballer Phillip Cocu is the new coach at Derby County. That announced the English second division on Friday. 48-year-old Cocu signed a contract for four years. He follows Frank Lampard, who left Derby County on Thursday after just one season to become a coach in the Premier League at Chelsea. Former midfielder Cocu played for his time with PSV Eindhoven and FC Barcelona. Later, he led PSV as coach to three championship titles. Most recently, Cocu was in Turkey under Fenerbahce Istanbul under contract, but after only four months, the club separated from him.
Football, national team: Lena Goeßling was the first player to end her career in the German national football team after the World Cup. "I'm no longer available to the national team in the future," said the 33-year-old football player from VfL Wolfsburg the "Bild" (Thursday). She "noticed during the tournament, that is no longer built on me," said one of the best known German footballers.
The midfielder was only used once at the World Cup tournament in France. In the 1-0 win in the group match against Spain, she was in the starting eleven. The team of national coach Martina Voss-Tecklenburg was eliminated on Saturday in the quarterfinals against Sweden. By the 1: 2 defeat missed the DFB team also the Olympic qualification. "I told the team the evening after the lost match against Sweden, the national coach on Tuesday," said Goeßling.
Sports policy: Former Fifa President Joseph S. Blatter has once again urged the World Football Association to publish around 60 valuable watches that he believes deserve his credit. "I'm an honest man, I want my watches back and expect a positive response, otherwise the matter goes to court," said the 83-year-old Swiss in an interview with the BBC. Blatter had already announced in May to want to sue his successor Gianni Infantino. He is concerned with his integrity, as well as with the return of personal belongings. "That's a matter of respect," he repeated to the BBC.
The Valaisian emphasized that he was basically at peace with himself and the world, but he insisted on the return of the extensive collection of watches. FIFA had recently objected to the allegations of its former boss and referred to an alleged transfer of timepieces last year. Blatter still claims that he only received the cheaper chronographs. He emphasized that he only wanted to get back the watches that belong to him as a private person. Watches he received as a FIFA boss could remain in the association's possession. Blatter had led Fifa from 1998 to 2016.