Africa Cup: Egypt throws players out on charges of sexual harassment from squad
Because Egyptian international Amr Warda is accused of sexual harassment, the football association has eliminated the midfielder for the other Africa Cup matches from the squad. The association announced the few hours before the second group match against the Democratic Republic of the Congo. "He's definitely out," said Egypt's team manager Ihab Leheita, "we need to focus on the game."
Already at the beginning of the week, the first allegations against the 25-year-old had been spread on the social networks. Several women had shared screenshots of obscene comments from the offensive player who is currently on loan from Greek champion Paok Thessaloniki to Atromitos Athens. In addition, Warda is said to have sent a woman a nude video of herself, which had surfaced on Wednesday morning on the Internet.
It is not the first charge of this kind to Warda. Already in 2017, the Portuguese first division CD Ferienseet after just a few days his contract because he is said to have sexually harassed the wives of two teammates.
In the Egyptian opening match at the Africa Cup last Friday Warda had come on in the 71th minute and had the team to a 1-0 (1-0) victory against Zimbabwe helped.