News : DFB resignation: Löw stops as national coach after the EM – sport


News : DFB resignation: Löw stops as national coach after the EM – sport

Joachim Löw gives up his position as national coach after the EM in the summer. The 61-year-old will end his contract, which originally ran until the 2022 World Cup, immediately upon completion of the tournament, the German Football Association announced on Tuesday. The DFB agreed to this, it said. “I am taking this step very consciously, full of pride and enormous gratitude, but at the same time still with great motivation as far as the upcoming European Championship tournament is concerned”, Löw was quoted in the message.

Löw took over the post after the 2006 World Cup. Before that, he had been assistant to national coach Jürgen Klinsmann for two years. In 2014 he celebrated the World Cup title in Brazil with the DFB team. “I have a lot of respect for Joachim Löw’s decision. The DFB knows what he has in Jogi, he is one of the greatest coaches in world football,” said DFB President Fritz Keller. Löw had shaped German football like no other for years. “It is very decent that he informed us about his decision at an early stage. As a DFB, he gives us the necessary time to name his successor calmly and with a sense of proportion,” said Keller.

Since the debacle at the 2018 World Cup in Russia, when the DFB selection as defending champion failed in the preliminary round, Löw has been criticized. Most recently, after the 0: 6 in Spain in autumn of the previous year, there was again heated debate about an early replacement of the national coach. Löw was only allowed to continue after clarifying discussions with the DFB top. The first international matches of the year are due to qualify for the World Cup at the end of March.

“That is sad news,” says Nagelsmann

“I am and will remain grateful to the DFB, which has always prepared an ideal working environment for me and the team,” said Löw. For the EM he “continues to feel the unconditional will as well as great energy and ambition”. In the tournament, which has been postponed by a year, the national team will meet world champions France, European champions Portugal and outsiders Hungary in the group stage in Munich in June.

“Joachim Löw and I worked closely together for almost 17 years. We were able to experience so much together and get through together,” said DFB director Oliver Bierhoff. Under Löw, “the national team once again stood for joy in playing and attractive offensive football, this team and its players have developed incredibly with him”. The former national player, who initially acted as manager of the DFB team, regretted Löw’s decision. “We will stay connected personally,” said Bierhoff. For the EM summer both “continue to have a big common goal”.

The DFB announcement came as a complete surprise on Tuesday. “That is sad news, but he is still in office,” said RB Leipzig coach Julian Nagelsmann, who will play against Jürgen Klopps FC Liverpool in the Champions League on Wednesday. Löw had a great influence on German football and “shaped an era with titles and a development,” said Nagelsmann. “Hopefully it will be a glorious conclusion.”

A possible successor is Klopp (53), who is deep in the sporting crisis with the Reds in the Premier League. The former BVB coach had recently always referred to his contract in Liverpool, which ran until 2024. The name of the former Leipzig trainer Ralf Rangnick (62) was also mentioned in the discussion after the Spain game. An internal, but currently rather unlikely solution would be the promotion of Löw’s current assistant coach Marcus Sorg (55). U21 national coach Stefan Kuntz (58), who is initially still in action with the DFB juniors at the European Championships, is already employed by the DFB.


Like it? Share with your friends!