News : Garmin Forerunner 745, Analysis and Opinion
When we thought that the saga of the FR 735xt had ended with the departure of the FR 935 to take on the role of the multisport watch (triathlon), this Garmin Forerunner 745 makes its appearance, which is surprising to say the least.
In the same way that the FR 235 was sold on Amazon for less than € 200 to make way for the FR 245, the latest offers of the FR 735xt at such good prices could also have made us imagine the appearance of this new watch. But what is new and how do you intend to add to Garmin’s long list of possibilities?
Garmin Forrerunner 745, news and features
In short, the FR 745 is Garmin’s smallest multisport watch, and it will make it possible to have a watch of these characteristics without having to empty your pockets with a top of the range such as the FR 945 (here the video) and Fenix 6.
What’s new in the Forerunner 745 (FR 735xt vs FR 745)
FR 735xt is already a somewhat old watch, so there are many new features compared to the previous model, although there is nothing new if we talk about Garmin in general.
- Stronger materials such as the Corning Gorilla Glass DX lens.
- More autonomy
- More memory (200 hours of activity)
- Very complete statistics including VO2 max, training load, etc.
Daily training suggestions based on your recent workouts.
- Music storage.
- Garmin Pay to make contactless payments.
- Health tracking features (sleep, fitness age, body battery, etc.)
- More sensors: GALILEO signal, barometric altimeter, gyroscope, thermometer and blood oxygen saturation monitor.
- More smartwatch features like answering calls with messages on Android.
- Security and tracking features like Livetrack, assistance, etc.
- A long list of features that, of course, have evolved over the years.
Forerunner 745, features
- Health monitor. Wrist pulse measurement every second, abnormal pulse alert, respiration rate, blood oxygen saturation, body battery, stress measurement, guided breathing relaxation function, sleep tracking, hydration and menstrual cycle.
- Smartwatch functions. Connect IQ, notifications, calendar, weather, music control and music storage (500 songs), Garmin Pay, etc.
- Security and monitoring functions. Livetrack and Group Livetrack, share live event, incident detection, assistance.
- Activity tracking. Here the typical, calories, steps, floors climbed, distance, minutes of intensity, etc. Also TrueUp and Move IQ.
- For fitness and gym. Activity profiles for strength, cardio, elliptical, steps, rowing, pilate, yoga … Also routines for cardio, strength, yoga or Pilates, and rep counter.
- Training, planning and analysis of those data that we like to scrutinize so much. Pulse zones, alerts, automatic calculation of the maximum pulse, etc .; recovery time, VO2 max, Training Load, Training Effect, virtual partner, live segments (Garmin and Strava), Trendline (popular routes) and Phisio TrueUp (synchronization of physiological data between different devices) and many other things.
- Career functions. As a good Forerunner, this part covers it 100%, with infinite metrics that can be increased using a complement such as the Running Dynamics Pod, with which, in addition to cadence or physical condition, you can check your vertical oscillation, contact with the ground, length of stride, or lactate.
- Outdoor functions. In the mountains it has nothing to envy to some specific watches in these matters. In addition to a bunch of related activity profiles (hiking, snowboarding, skiing, etc.) it has point-to-point navigation, real-time breadcrumb trail, return home, Tracback, ultratrack mode (more autonomy by lowering the GPS signal ), storm alerts, accumulated rate of ascent, ascent and descent, and many other features that are increased if you complement it with the Connect IQ apps.
- For cycling It also has everything covered as a good multisport, and we can highlight that it is compatible with a potentiometer, and cadence and speed sensors. Also FTP with compatible accessory.
- In swimming the same, infinite metrics and activity profiles for swimming pools, open water and aquarunning. Pace alerts, workouts, underwater HR sensor, SWOLF, automatic style detection, etc.
- Dual Grid coordinates. Useful if you use different maps at the same time and need to see the coordinates on both. This was already brought by the Instinct as well.
Garmin Forerunner 745, technical specifications:
Before I advanced something of the qualities, and it is that in this sense it has improved.
- Screen. Color with Corning Gorilla Glass DX lens and resolution of 240 x 240 pixels. The display has a diameter of 30.4 mm
- Bezel. Fiber reinforced polymer
- Belt. Silicone
- Dimensions: 43.8 x 43.8 x 13.3 mm
- Weight. 47 g
- Waterproof. 5 ATM
- Connectivity Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, ANT +
- Memory. 200 hours of activity
- Sensors GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, Garmin Elevate wrist HR sensor, barometric altimeter, compass, gyroscope, accelerometer, thermometer, pulse oximeter
- Smartwatch mode – 7 days
- GPS + Music – 6 hours
- GPS – 16 hours
- UltraTrack mode – 21 hours
Price and offers Garmin Forerunner 745
€ 499.99 are to blame, although if we think that for that price you already start to have the Forerunner 945 with these and more features (such as maps), it is consistent to think that it will not take long to lower the figure. Stay tuned because in this post you will have the best updated offer.
At the moment you can always think of a purchase alternative such as its predecessor FR 735xt (less than € 200), the FR 935 (€ 350), the FR 945, which is an outrageous watch, or even the Fenix 5 Plus which is at point of caramenlo.
You save: € 100.04 (33%) (33%)
Forerunner 745 Opinion
Garmin has proposed to meet the needs of all users without exception, and with this Forerunner 745 they provide the possibility of having a more accessible multisport watch, subtracting features such as maps or autonomy. It is lighter than the more expensive ones; especially lighter than the Fenix 6 (offer here) which, by the way, also has a version without maps and comes without Wi-Fi.
I think it is a good middle ground for those looking for high performance in a really practical and wearable watch due to its weight and size. However, it is heavier (47 g) than the Forerunner 735xt (40.2 g), and it must also be said that it does not add much autonomy either, since the old one already lasted 14 hours with GPS compared to 16 on the new one.
In any case, it seems that it will be a very good option, yes, as soon as it starts to drop in price and is more competitive, especially against its peers within the same brand.