Pre-training supplements: why and what
On the supplements for athletes have run rivers of ink, and not always too well. In many cases, the problem lies in an obvious disinformation that ends up not choosing the right product, and that the consumer has the feeling that he has thrown away the money.
The choice of the right supplement has to do with study the percentage of nutrients that the product has in relation to the activity that is going to be carried out. For example, the famous protein shakes have, at least, carbohydrates and fats, in addition to proteins. So, considering the plastic function of the latter or the energy of carbohydrates, we can deduce that it is an appropriate complement for high energy expenditure and muscle wasting, as in strength training.
But besides looking at the nutrients you have to look at their type, because not everyone is the same or behaves the same in terms of metabolism and hormones. The speed of assimilation may vary, so at times of high energy demand, a high glycemic index derived from simple hydrates may be a good idea.
Pre-workout supplements: why take them
Supplements during pre-training help the body prepare for the activity that is going to develop, also considering the objectives that the athlete has established. Normally, whoever takes supplements does it because he wants to gain or define muscle mass, increase your resistance or promote weight loss.
What supplements do, then, is to reinforce the physical activity that develops during training, to enhance their results. This explains why they enjoy such popularity.
These products they usually combine different elements, so that the range of possibilities opens up to the immeasurable. It is advisable to be well informed and, importantly also, to choose brands that offer certain guarantees. After all, it's a matter of greeting.
The usual thing is that someone tries because family, friend or a gym partner, has recommended a product. It's a starting point, of course, but nor does the same thing work for everyone, nor does everyone have the same care at the time of selecting the products. Another option is to pay attention to the recommendations of our sports supplement guide.
Whatever motivates the election, the intake of supplements acquire even more meaning when we speak of a hectic pace of life, with a poor distribution of the foods and little controlled intakes.
However, we can collect properties of pre-workout supplements:
- They serve to improve performance.
- They help to increase strength and endurance.
- It gives energy and improves concentration.
- It stimulates the burning of fats.
- Increases protein synthesis.
- Reduces catabolism
Before brands, it is necessary to consider what compounds can be used depending on the results that are intended to be achieved. We offer you some suggestions:
- For strength and power. The creatine It is one of the most popular supplements, which has to do with the scientific literature that supports its use. Although it can be used in pre-training, as a way to replace adenosine triphosphate that is lost during activity, it can also be taken at the end of the session.
- To have more energy. If the activity exceeds a threshold of intensity, a supplement aimed at raising glucose levels will help progression, maintaining adequate glucose levels. The carbohydrates they are necessary and, apart from those that we usually take at meals, there are products capable of releasing energy in a sustained manner, something useful in resistance training.
- To stimulate muscle growth. In this case, it is about optimizing this process that involves an increase in muscle tissue, so it is best to use supplements that improve those protein synthesis from the stimulus to which we submit to the body. Supplements of BCAA, branched amino acids that are metabolized in the muscle tissue itself.
- To burn fat. The caffeine It is a powerful stimulant, acts on the nervous system and accelerates metabolism. In addition, it improves concentration and mental clarity, has thermogenic effects and delays fatigue. It offers similar benefits guarana.
- For the concentration. They could be worth the previous ones, but it seems even more complete tyrosine, an amino acid that is related to palliative effects in case of overtraining. It is also an ally against fat.
- The Acetyl L-Carnitine and the nootropic DMAE they can also come in handy for concentration.
- For the resistance. A supplement that makes you gain in resistance can help to do more repetitions or generally prolong the training time. The beta-alanine It allows to increase the performance, prolonging the duration in high intensity activities and increasing the muscular concentration of carnosine. Another popular option is the taurine, an amino acid that is produced from cysteine and that intervenes in multiple physiological processes, such as muscle contraction.
- To gain muscle mass. What are most known are protein and carbohydrate shakes. It is usual to take it approximately one hour before training.
How to take the pre-delivery supplement
It is necessary to follow the instructions of the manufacturer or, at least, of the monitor that advises it or of the specialized store that provides the product, because each one has its peculiarity.
It is usual to recommend the intake of the supplement about 30 minutes after starting the activity, depending on how much the last meal was made. It is not advisable to eat and train often, because it can be uncomfortable.
But nevertheless, there are supplements that, by their characteristics, can be recommended in fasting, as those that serve to improve performance and those focused on fat loss.