News : Press conference live: What does Löw say? – Sports
Joachim Löw looked tidy and very focused when he talked about his resignation in the summer. “It is the right time to pass the baton on to someone else,” said the 61-year-old on Thursday during a press conference. The 15 years as head coach of the national team at the German Football Association are almost “an eternity” – and now is a “time of renewal, a time of change and movement”. The upheaval in the young team should “in no case fail because the coach is stuck on his chair”.
The DFB announced on Tuesday that Löw would stop after the EM in the summer. He made the decision to think about his future in February and March last year, said Löw. Regardless of the desperate 6-0 defeat in Spain. “In the pandemic you had more time to think,” said Löw. He had specific thoughts on “where we stand, where do I stand, what do I want and what kind of feeling do I have for the future”.
Löw looked ahead – well beyond the end of his term of office. The focus is on the European Championship at home in 2024, and he is “deeply” convinced that the young national players will then reach their peak of performance. “A tournament in your own country can achieve an incredible amount, and above all innovate,” said Löw. “I don’t see myself in this position anymore in 2024.” His successor must be given the necessary time to prepare the team. At the upcoming EM this summer he wants to “achieve the maximum again”.
The decision about a possible return of Thomas Müller and Mats Hummels to the national team will not be made until May, even after his resignation announcement. The national coach rejected reports about an alleged decision made in the explosive personal details. “I would like people to listen to me too. I neither opened nor closed the door,” said the 61-year-old. It is also true that he does not consider it right to abort the rebuilding that he has initiated. An interruption – and thus a return of the ex-world champions – is conceivable in view of the special situation in the corona pandemic.
DFB President Keller thanks Löw
DFB director Oliver Bierhoff did not submit any “intermediate status reports” to search for a successor. The association does not want to put any pressure on itself when it comes to signing a successor. “We have absolutely no time constraints. It is an important decision. We will take the time that is necessary. We will think these decisions carefully,” said Bierhoff. Jürgen Klopp from Liverpool FC, who said that he was not available, Bayern coach Hansi Flick, Ralf Rangnick, U21 national coach Stefan Kuntz and Löw’s current assistant Marcus Sorg were traded.
“I am deeply grateful because Jogi gave us the time to calmly and carefully prepare the succession,” said DFB President Fritz Keller. “Oliver Bierhoff has already been commissioned to sound out. We have all the time in the world. That is simply a very, very good situation.”