News : Real Madrid: And again Zinédine throws Zidane down – sport
Smoke rose over the Bernabéu Stadium on Wednesday evening. A smoldering fire that started during the renovation – and was extinguished just as quickly as it was reinterpreted: As white smoke that otherwise rises over the Vatican when popes are elected. While Spain was looking forward to the Europa League final in Gdansk between Villarreal and Manchester United, which the team from the Mediterranean coast won on penalties, the news broke that Real Madrid were looking for a new coach. Zinédine Zidane announced that he wants to quit the job with immediate effect.
The club confirmed the resignation on Thursday afternoon. Now is the time to show “respect and gratitude” for “your professionalism, dedication and passion”. Zidane is “one of the great myths of Real Madrid and his legend goes beyond what he was as coach and player at our club,” the club said: “He knows that Real Madrid will always be his home. “
Rumors of an imminent resignation had been around for a long time. The radio station reported only a few weeks ago Onda Cerothat Zidane had already told the team that he would like to resign. This was followed by a half-hearted denial from Zidane, Real’s German midfielder Toni Kroos called the report a “lie” these days. Previously, the French striker Karim Benzema had announced in an interview that Zidane would stay. Zidane himself announced a few weeks ago: “There are moments in which you have to be there and those in which you have to change. But for the good of everyone, not because of me.”
Who’s coming now: Allegri? Conte? Or is it Xabi Alonso?
Who follows him is open. We are talking about Massimiliano Allegri, 53, who has been unemployed since leaving Juventus Turin, and Antonio Conte, 51, who dropped out at Inter Milan on Wednesday. Another alternative is the almost 43-year-old club legend Raúl González Blanco, who is currently training the second Real Madrid team. The former Bayern and Real professional Xabi Alonso, 39, has also made a name for himself. Surprisingly, he was promoted to the second division with Real Sociedad San Sebastián’s second team. National coach Joachim Löw, 61, was considered a dream candidate for Pérez years ago. Beyond Löw’s obvious sabbatical cravings, Pérez is after SZ-Information but long distance from the idea of an obligation of the German trainer.
Zidane, 48, first took over as coach at Real Madrid in 2016 – and immediately won three Champions League titles in a row. In 2018 he threw it down anyway. A few months later, Real Madrid was so sluggish that the 1998 French world champion was persuaded to return in spring 2019. After just a few months, cracks appeared: Zidane wanted to get rid of players like Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez – and instead get kickers like Paul Pogba (Manchester United) or Sadio Mane (Liverpool FC). Nevertheless, he won the championship in 2019/2020.
This summer, however, Spain’s record champions went without a title – for the first time in eleven years. In the cup, Real Madrid stumbled at the underclass CD Alcoyano; in the Champions League it was only enough for the semi-finals, which were lost to Chelsea. In the championship, Real finished second behind neighbors Atlético Madrid. Now Zidane is saying goodbye again.
Zidane hadn’t commented until noon on Thursday. But apparently the frustration he accumulated around the turn of the year was too great in the end. At the time, media that are close to Real’s boss Pérez claimed that the dissatisfaction with the coach was great and that a dismissal was being considered. The radio station Cadena Ser reported on Thursday night that Real had reached an agreement in principle with Allegri months ago, which is also considered a serious candidate for coaching at Inter Milan.
Expensive players put a strain on the club’s coffers, some professionals are considered too old and too full
Either way, Real Madrid is facing major renovations – with a poor cash situation. The previous Bayern professional David Alaba will soon be presented as an access, but he comes free of charge. Galactic entrances cannot be expected, since the renovation of the stadium, anything but accident-free, devoured a sum in the three-digit million euro range even before the smoldering fire.
In addition, expensive players like the recently loaned Welsh Bale or the so far disappointing Belgian Eden Hazard are a burden on the club’s coffers. A number of players are considered too old and fed up – for example left-back Marcelo or Isco Alarcón. They should (and must) improve the income situation, which is not only catastrophic as a result of the pandemic, as well as the possible sale of defense attorney Raphaël Varane. An important open personality is defender Sergio Ramos: his contract is expiring. And whether he will stay without Zidane is more than questionable.