News : Snowboard: Selina Jörg again world champion – sport
Snowboard World Cup: Raceboarder Ramona Hofmeister narrowly missed the title in the parallel slalom at the World Championships in Rogla, Slovenia. The 24-year-old from Bischofswiesen lost to the Russian Sofia Nadyrschina in the final after a driving error. Selina Jörg, who had already successfully defended her title in the parallel giant slalom on Monday, took bronze and rounded off the strong result for Snowboard Germany.
“So many stones fall from my heart. I couldn’t be happier,” said Hofmeister. He draws an “absolutely positive conclusion. Three medals – I am very satisfied,” emphasized sports director Andreas Scheid.
In the parallel slalom, it was the best ever World Cup result for a German snowboarder. Hofmeister (2019), Amelie Kober (2013) and Sandra Farmand (1999) had “only” won bronze. Cheyenne Loch (Schliersee) failed in the quarter-finals, Carolin Langenhorst (Bischofswiesen), like defending champion Julie Zogg (Switzerland), was eliminated in the second round. Olympic champion and top favorite Esther Ledecka (Czech Republic) was absent due to a back injury.
In the men’s category, the Austrian Benjamin Karl won the world title ahead of his compatriot Andreas Prommegger. None of the three German men made it into the knockout runs. Stefan Baumeister (Aising-Pang), who finished third twice in the World Cup in 2019, only finished 20th in qualification, just like the day before. Elias Huber (Schellenberg / 23rd) and Ole Mikkel Prantl (Königssee / 30th) could not compete among the best 16 place.
Short track: Germany’s best short tracker Anna Seidel was seriously injured in a training accident in Dordrecht, the Netherlands. As the German speed skating and short track community announced on Tuesday evening, the three-time European Championship medalist will have to do without a start at the World Championships starting on Friday in the same place.
The 22-year-old will now be brought back to her hometown of Dresden, where she will be examined more closely and operated on on Wednesday. Further details were not given in the DESG notification.
“Very sad news. Anna was really in top form. She would have had a chance to win a medal. Our thoughts go to Anna and her family and we wish her a speedy recovery from the bottom of our hearts,” said Nadine Seidenglanz, the President’s chief representative for sports.
Soccer, Spain: One day after his arrest in the course of the raid on the Spanish top football club FC Barcelona, ex-President Josep Maria Bartomeu is again at large under certain conditions. The 58-year-old and his former advisor Jaume Masferrer were brought before a judge on Tuesday morning but, according to the court, “exercised their right not to speak”. The investigation continued despite the release, it said.
Police raided the club’s offices on Monday. In addition to Bartomeu, who resigned as president in October, managing director Oscar Grau and Roman Gomez Ponti, head of the legal department, were also arrested. The two were released on Monday evening.
The raid was linked to the “BarcaGate” affair last year. The accusation is in the room that club officials are said to have commissioned a company to defame former and current players in the social networks, among other things, who had criticized the then President Bartomeu. According to Spanish media reports, Barca paid a million euros for it. Bartomeu, on the other hand, had claimed the company was only hired to monitor social media posts. According to the judiciary, the club is not being investigated.
Nordic World Ski Championships, cross-country skiing: Therese Johaug clinched her twelfth World Championship gold and is still unbeatable over the long haul. The 32-year-old Norwegian won the ten kilometers in the free technique in Oberstdorf on Tuesday and thus secured her second title in the Allgäu. The two Swedes Frida Karlsson (54 seconds behind) and Ebba Andersson (1:06 minutes) had no chance against Johaug, but secured silver and bronze. The German runners who started without Katharina Hennig did not make it into the top ten.
Soccer: In the coronavirus outbreak in the SSV Jahn Regensburg team, eight positive cases have now occurred. The British variant of the virus was detected in at least four of the infected. The Regensburg health department announced on Tuesday at the request of the German press agency With. “Sportschau.de” had previously reported on it. According to the authority, it is possible that the other four affected persons are also infected with the virus mutant B.1.1.7. According to previous studies, this is not yet known. Because of the positive tests, the DFB Cup quarter-finals planned for Tuesday evening between the second division soccer team and Bundesliga representatives Werder Bremen had already been canceled on Monday.
Because the individual contacts within the team could no longer be traced in detail, the entire team was quarantined for 14 days, starting on Friday and Saturday, depending on the last contact. This means that Jahn’s second division games in Osnabrück on March 7th and at home against SpVgg Greuther Fürth on March 13th should not take place as scheduled. There were initially no substitute dates for either the league games or the cup game against Bremen.
Tennis: Roger Federer will apparently not serve at the Masters tournament in Miami as planned. According to the US media, the 39-year-old Swiss, who is working on his return after knee operations, has canceled his participation. At the ATP tournament next week in Doha / Qatar, the 20-time Grand Slam champion is scheduled to make his comeback after a forced break of over a year. According to Federer’s manager Tony Godsick, the reason for not defending the title in Miami (March 24th to April 4th) is the dosed scheduling after the tournament stints in Doha and Dubai. His last match on the tour so far was the semi-final defeat by Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open in January 2020. Federer then had to undergo two operations on his right knee.