The benefits of double daily training sessions
Many people will cry to heaven when they read these lines. If I can hardly start going out every day, how will I be able to train in double sessions? It is clear that it requires an almost titanic metal force, but the benefits, if properly balanced, can be very substantial and notorious. Obviously you have to take certain precautions, but in this article we will tell you a little which direction to take and how to focus the load. We rely on the input made by the partners of ‘runners.fr’.
How can this training system help us?
The double sessions allow to increase the training load without necessarily having to do it more than once or twice a week. Requires reducate the intensity and duration of each exit, but if done in an entertaining and entertaining way it can be even more bearable than condensing everything in a long session. We divide the efforts and, consequently, make a more precise and compensated approach to the work area in question.
How to approach the double sessions?
It should be noted that a double session does not automatically mean two race loads in a single day. On the contrary, this training system is thought to perform different activities, combine swimming with the bicycle, strength work, power, gym, etc. The program of the sessions is a la carte. But you must obey a certain logic. The main thing is not make two intense efforts in the same day because then problems of overloads and injuries can arise.
As we mentioned, the double sessions allow you to focus more on a specific job and work better certain aspects that you need to develop and improve. With the exception of elite athletes and those who prepare for some important competition in particular, it is not advisable to exceed 45 minutes in each session.
One of the two sessions should focus on recovery, improving resistance and or developing muscle, while the other, in the second half of the day, should be directed to a more specific job. The planning does not have to be super-restrictive and if we notice in some section of the week very loaded or fatigued it is possible to change the menu of some sessions (and, for example, replace a fartleck with a bike trip).
Three examples of double daily training:
- Run / run: In the morning, 45 minutes of running at a resistance pace (concentrate on maintaining a rhythm and a running technique); in the afternoon, good warm-up of 15 minutes and then series (10 × 400 on the track with a jog of 200 meters to recover, for example) and finish with 10 ’of continuous running.
- Bicycle / race: In the morning, 45-60 minutes of cycling (outdoor or static), preferably in plain and on circuits that do not require intense effort. In the afternoon, heating of 15 progressive minutes and a 2 × 10 ’at a rate of 10k (each one) with five minutes of recovery between sets and ending with 10’ of cooling.
- Running or stretching and bodybuilding / swimming: In the morning, 60 ’race (15 warm-up and 30 at half marathon pace and return to calm 15’). In the afternoon, bodybuilding exercises + stretching + 1km of swimming without intense effort.
The maximums of the double session training:
- Respect the duration (although we have good feelings on the specific day, do not exceed).
- Lunch (make sure we eat the essentials and the right food to regenerate the body and recover from the morning effort).
- The rest (the double session requires to religiously comply with the breaks and the hours of sleep. A short nap of about 20 ’if it can be done is essential).
- Listen to the body (if feelings of fatigue are important or we feel very charged we must make changes to the program or cancel the session)
- Visit the physiotherapist (it is essential that we are ‘repairing’ the most loaded areas and that we take a look often).