Training in the gym for cyclists
He endurance training It is one of the most practiced models in general by society. This has many benefits for the health and physical and mental state of the person:
- Strengthens the heart.
- Maintains blood pressure at adequate levels.
- Increase caloric expenditure produced by activity.
- It can help decrease resting heart rate.
- It helps lower LDL cholesterol ("bad cholesterol")
- It makes the person who practices it mentally stronger.
- Together with all the hundreds of benefits of practicing sports and being an active person with yourself.
More and more people are encouraged to ride the bike and there are also many others who want to improve their performance and achieve new, increasingly ambitious goals.
The sports goals They are key to maintaining motivation, whether they are more or more ambitious, it has been shown that they help maintain adherence, enjoy more in carrying out the activity and potentially achieve better results.
How should a routine for cyclists be?
A generic training focused on improve cycling performance, should have mainly 3 blocks
- Lower train (which will be at all times in action)
- Body posture (to avoid injury or discomfort, thus counteracting the bad posture that should be taken in cycling)
- Weak points (Detect that limits the person, and even if they are not so important a priori points, emphasize them)
*In some cases, it may be appropriate to perform this strength training with subsequent fatigue to make a more realistic simulation and therefore to enhance the transfer to that sport.
However, everything said may vary depending on the person and must individualize, preferably at the hand of a sports and health professional, combined with a balanced and consistent diet, along with adequate supplementation in case of advanced users.
How and how much does a professional cyclist train?
Depending on the level, objectives, stage of the year and experience and many other parameters, the number or frequency of weekly training will vary.
Normally, professional cyclists have a specific periodization, where in the pre-season there is more emphasis on the physical training, while the season, this happens to be secondary and every time it becomes more important the specific training. But always without forgetting to give a stimulus to the musculature so that it is in some way forced to stay in its place and the work done in pre-season “do not go to waste”.
Surely you have seen very different bodies depending on the cyclist in question, at the same time of strategies that resemble little among them, this is because each person has certain qualities It detects and explodes.
While some people can use their physical potential at an anaerobic level (strength) to emerge on slopes and certain sprint moments, other people put this aside as their potential in aerobic improvement is almost infinite.
But, if you review interviews and ask a professional cyclist, everyone will tell you that external physical training in the gym is never forgotten.
Training material for cyclists
It is important accompany the training with specific material and that allows gestures similar to those made when pedaling and during the race / route stage.
Today there are many pages of sports products, online stores, etc. That facilitate and reduce the acquisition of material of this style.
For example, in this fitness store you can find specific cycling materials, complementary gym, nutrition and supplementation products, etc. You can also search directly in your browser and find specific stores depending on which product you need or want to search.
Benefits of strength training for cyclists
While it is true that specific cycling training is the key to improving cycling (-Principle of Specificity-) Accompanying this with a work of strength in the gym is almost mandatory in many ways.
Strength training protects your bones and muscle mass.
When they are done long-term resistance activities, the body can get to use the energy of muscle glycogen, which can lead to catabolism (loss of muscle mass).
According to a study of Steven L Watson et. To the. Training the strength, we will give a stimulus to the muscle, while strengthening the bones, which will reduce the chances that the body chooses to use energy from the catabolic pathway.
Train to improve cycling performance
Not only can we overcome the possible negative effects of resistance training to muscle mass, but also the same strength training well planted will help you improve performance directly in:
- Power (moments of maximum speed)
- Speed (maximum force applied in minimum time)
- Resistance (stable force applied repeatedly for a long time)
Working specifically and emphasizing weaknesses, you can go one step further at the current level.
Be better in cycling competitions
Based on the experience of many sports professionals. Many cyclists arrive with a aerobic resistance very high, due to the sports practice in a very specific way, however, when it is time to give the final grip, The musculature does not respond so well.
- In this case, working specifically the force, after a period of long fatigue, would perfectly simulate this scenario. A scenario where, we have accumulated fatigue of many hours, but we must give a final squeeze that can make a difference.
- In this practical example, the intention would be to look for a point where the body adapts and therefore, together with an upward planning, gradually improve its efficiency at that time of the race: The one known as “Sprint Final”
Remember that you are as strong as the weakest link.